Become a Green City
How To Qualify
Any City or County in California that meets the qualifying criteria for membership in Green Cities California (GCC) is encouraged to apply for membership.
All GCC members have demonstrated leadership in achieving effective solutions to the environmental challenges faced by urban communities. The bar for GCC membership is high, by design. Pre-requisites include the adoption of:
- A climate action plan, or a commitment to have one adopted by the end of the year in which application for membership is made;
- The United Nations Urban Environmental Accords; and,
- The Conference of Mayors Climate Protection Agreement.
In addition, members are asked to work with their City Councils or Boards of Supervisors in adopting the GCC Sustainability Resolution within one year of gaining membership. The resolution outlines specific sustainability policies GCC members pledge to advance in their jurisdictions.
Membership dues in GCC are determined by the jurisdiction, in consultation with GCC’s Steering Committee, and range from $5000 - $15,000 annually.
GCC Member Benefits
For a listing of the benefits of GCC Membership, see the GCC Member Benefits.
If your jurisdiction can or soon will meet the criteria noted above and you would like to apply for membership, please complete the Membership Application Form and submit electronically to Carol Misseldine.
Last updated April 19, 2012
GCC policies have resulted in...
- Conversion of over 665 million sheets of paper to 100% recycled content each year, which saves:
- 10 million pounds of carbon dioxide emissions
- Almost 80,000 trees
- More than 23 million gallons of water
- More than 6,600 barrels of oil
- 1,633,302 plastic water bottles from being landfilled, which saves:
- GCC member cities over