San Diego, CA
About the City*
San Diego is the eighth-largest city in the United States and second-largest city in California. The city is located on the coast of the Pacific Ocean in Southern California, immediately adjacent to the Mexican border. The birthplace of California, San Diego is known for its mild year-round climate, its natural deep-water harbor, and its long association with the U.S. Navy. The population was 1,301,617 at the 2010 census.
The city is the county seat of San Diego County and is the economic center of the San Diego–Carlsbad–San Marcos metropolitan area as well as the San Diego–Tijuana metropolitan area. San Diego's main economic engines are military and defense-related activities, tourism, international trade, and manufacturing. The presence of the University of California, San Diego (UCSD), with the affiliated UCSD Medical Center, has helped make the area a center of research in biotechnology.
San Diego Best Practices
Climate Action Plan
Last updated October 31, 2012
GCC policies have resulted in...
- Conversion of over 665 million sheets of paper to 100% recycled content each year, which saves:
- 10 million pounds of carbon dioxide emissions
- Almost 80,000 trees
- More than 23 million gallons of water
- More than 6,600 barrels of oil
- 1,633,302 plastic water bottles from being landfilled, which saves:
- GCC member cities over
- California Bag Ban Infographic
- San Francisco Sets Example by Publishing Energy Consumption Data for Over 300 City Buildings
- Climate Action Plans
- GCC Welcomes New Members Chula Vista and Palo Alto
- GCC Member San Jose Ranks #1 on Clean Tech Index! SF & LA in top ten.
- Green Cities Congratulates San Diego for Electric Vehicle Project
- Green Cities Congratulates Santa Monica for Community Sustainability Goal
- Judge Upholds San Francisco's Bag Ordinance
- Mitigating Climate Change Through Food and Land Use
- The Carbon We Consume
- Single Use Bag Reduction Efforts
- GCC Policy Positions
- Mayoral Executive Orders and City Manager Directives
- Urban Environmental Accords
More Issues & News